Your hot tub is one of the best ways to kick back and relax. What could be better than sinking into the clear, heated depths of your spa for a soothing jet massage?
All of that relaxation can’t be achieved, however, without a bit of work. Maintenance is key to keep your spa working well for you, and that includes draining your hot tub on a set schedule.
Why Draining Your Tub is a Must
While performing weekly maintenance on your spa’s water keeps it in good shape, after a while, it will become difficult to balance. That’s a sign that it’s time to start fresh.
If you’re like most hot tub users, you will need to drain and clean your spa once every three to four months. If you use your spa several times a day or host a lot of friends, you may need to drain it more often.
Letting old water reside in your spa can eventually lead to odor, cloudiness, algae buildup or hot tub foam.
Draining, cleaning and refilling your hot tub on a regular basis not only ensures you’re soaking in clean water, you’ll be protecting your spa from damage. Left too long, dirty water can corrode your spa’s circulation system.
How to Drain Your Tub
From beginning to end, draining, cleaning and refilling your tub is a relatively easy task, but it can be time consuming. If you have the time to do it yourself, our step-by-step guide will help you to be as efficient as possible.
- Powering off your hot tub.
- Drain your hot tub using one of these three methods:
- Opening the valve on the bottom of your spa.
- Using a hose to drain the water (if your spa isn’t hooked up to a drainpipe).
- Using a submersible pump. This will speed up drain time.
- Next, wipe your spa down and gently rub a non-foaming cleaner over the entire hot tub. Make sure it’s a real spa cleaner and not a household product, which can damage the shell. Let the cleaner sit for the time specified by the product’s directions.
- Rinse the hot tub shell completely.
- Once your spa is rinsed free of cleaner, refill it with fresh water.
- Test and balance your water.
If you don’t have the time or inclination to complete quarterly spa water changes, give us a call at Spa Land. Our spa technicians can handle all of your maintenance needs.
Hot Tub Maintenance at Spa Land in Cotati
If hot tub maintenance isn’t for you, we’ve got your back. Here at Spa Land, our technicians are second-to-none, providing top-notch service whether you need routine maintenance or a repair. As your premier hot tub dealer in Cotati, we have a variety of high-quality hot tubs and swim spas to choose from. So stop searching the Internet for ‘hot tubs for sale near me’ or ‘cost of a swim spa,’ and drop in at our showroom to see what we have in stock. One of our experts would be happy to discuss hot tub or swim spa prices with you or help you find the perfect model for your home.